The Asthma Corner
Asthma Medication Delivery Devices
The powdered medication is contained inside the device in pre-measured doses.
- Unscrew the cover and lift it off.
- Hold inhaler upright (mouthpiece up).
- Turn the coloured base as far as it will go then back until it clicks; this releases a measured dose of medication.
- Ask your child to breathe out, emptying his/her lungs.
- Place the mouthpiece between his/her teeth, with lips snug around it, and tongue down out of the way.
- Ask your child to breathe in deeply.
- Ask your child to hold his/her breath for 10 seconds if he/she can.
- Keep the device in the vertical position when click loading the medication.
- Rinse your child's mouth after each use.
- The appearance of a red dot in the little window indicates that there are 20 doses left in the device.
Using inhalers properly is not always easy but can help your child enjoy successful treatment at home and less frequent trips to the hospital.
If despite your best efforts with inhaled medications your child's asthma is not well controlled or worsens, seek medical attention immediately!